Well, I’m glad I saw it...
For all its graphic splendor, watching Sin City is like spending two hours in a state-of-the-art wax museum. Rodriguez loves his material so much that he embalmed it.
I got into an early show yesterday, thankfully since every show after the four o’clock that we went to was sold out. Visually, the movie was stunning and it does have a great cast but, I think there’s a bad case of writer-itis going on. Since Frank Miller was so intricately involved in the project, he wanted something as close to the original graphic novels as possible. Unfortunately, film is a visual medium which is unlike Miller’s normal environs. The last time I was clubbed over the head so much by a voiceover narration, it was for the DeLaurentis adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune.
Somebody needs to tell Frankie boy, sometimes less is more. Save the narration for when it’s really needed!
No comments:
Post a Comment